Wednesday, December 1, 2010

With Different Eyes...



How do I see myself?

Three different people on three separate occasions have told me, "Bethany, you don't see yourself the way other people see you." I am only coming to understand the depth of these words this week.

There is a huge gap between what I see and the truth of who I am. But this is not an ailment specific to only me...

I cannot tell you how many people I know and love do not see themselves the way I do. When I look at them, I see beauty and strength where they see flaws and weakness. I see compassion and loyalty where they feel isolated and judgmental. I see a wounded heart where they feel bitterness.

In my eyes, love covers these people. They are by no means perfect, but they are loved regardless. I see with different eyes because these individuals mean so much to me.

If my love, which is unstable and earth-bound covers them, I am in awe of how God sees us. Through his never-ending, never-failing love I am seen. What a wonderful thought that I am not only seen, but I am seen as I TRULY am. My creator sees me, sees the truth of who I am.

His love covers me. It covers my insecurities, weaknesses, flaws, doubt, and stupidity. It covers my pride, judgments, and freak outs. It covers my awkwardness, control freak tendencies, and fear. It covers self-doubt.

My God does not make mistakes. Everything He made "was good."

How do I see myself?

Because of God's love, I finally see myself with different eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment