Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Who Am I???

My last two posts have focused pretty heavily on not letting anyone or anything define our worth, define us. But, what do you do when you don't really know who you are? How do you say "NO!" to false identifiers, when you are not sure what your true identity is? This is where I feel I am at. Part of me thinks that it is normal--this constant change and transformation. Life is about growth! We are constantly being made new, right? Also, I think it is a normal "20 Something" feeling to not really know who you are and what you are about. You discover these things as you go. However, I also feel like not knowing who you are in a world that is constantly trying to make you into something else is a dangerous thing. So, who is Bethany Wade? I get glimpses of who I really am, I think, every once in a while. These glimpses have begun to be more like long glances--with the exception of today, which was pure chaos. I don't know where real Bethany went. She was probably hiding from crazy, anxious, insecure Bethany. That girl's a menace! ;) What was reinforced to me today in several ways was that I would not feel so insecure, my relationships would not seem so shaky, and I just generally wouldn't be sp freaked out by life if I had more of a handle of Who I am. If I knew it, accepted it, embraced it, and celebrated it. Truth is, we cannot go through life being strangers to ourselves. The world needs a people who know who they are and what they are about. So, this is the plan. And to all you soul-searchers who are reading this tonight, I encourage you to do this with me... Take a sheet of paper. It could be in a notebook, a piece of computer paper plastered to your fridge, or a Word Document on your computer. But, get yourself and empty sheet of paper and write this questions at the top: "Who Am I?" Now, here is the tricky part--don't answer it right away. Pray. Ask God to show you who you are. Ask Him to give you specific words to describe yourself. I mean, He created us. If anyone could and should tell us who we really are, past the fears, the hurts, the insecurities, and the struggles...He would be the one. Then, write that truth down...and never forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment