Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"Solitude is a human presumption."




I finished this novel last week. Written by Barbara Kingsolver, it includes three different stories all tied together by the setting, which is southern Appalachia. While the novel focuses a great deal on descriptions of plants, animals, and nature in general, I really enjoyed it. I am, by no means, an outdoor girl, but this book made me want to get away and hike through the forest (I didn't, of course, but I really REALLY wanted to!).
What I enjoyed most about this book was how it mirrored the connectedness of nature with that of humanity. All animals and plants are somehow connected, and when one suffers they all do. The same is true for human beings. Our families, our circles of friends are our own ecosystems. We have a niche in these places. We perform necessary tasks. We, as human beings, fill roles in our relationships that no one can. Some of us are protectors. Some of us are encouragers. Some of us create problems. Some of us find solutions. Some of us bear burdens. Some of us bring comfort. We all have a part to play. Kingsolver goes even further to explain that human beings weren't meant to be alone. She writes, "Solitude is a human presumption."
We all need someone...

No comments:

Post a Comment