Monday, August 16, 2010

What is Success

I rediscovered a poem today, that I have not read since I was a Senior in highschool:

What is success?
To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by
a healthy child, a garden patch
or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed
easier because you have lived;
This is to have succeeded.

This poem seemed appropriate, since I am on the verge of beginning my Senior year in college.
Some days...not most days... but some days, I feel as if I am waiting for my life to start. It is like I am caught in this inbetween space. I am not fully child, but I am not fully adult. Today was one of those days... Has my life been a successful one thus far? I mean, has it been successful in the ways that truly count? What does my life say about me? What am I waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment